Make it to 10,000
scrub this post
Vega have you ever been to the Kansas City zoo aquarium? I left KCMO just 5 months before it was finished, and I had waited years for it to be complete lmao
No, but i heard it was pretty decent. i went to the zoo not too long ago, but at the time the aquarium required reservations and didn't realize til later.
Oh alright. Bump
I have been to the US twice, never outside of California
My username is in Scottish Gaelic. If you speak that language, please tell me how to pronounce it properly.

The best source I've got so far is this: https://learngaelic.scot/dictionary/inde...word=false
California takes the crown for worst US state to live in
California is bad but not as bad as many media outlets would lead you to believe. Cost of living isn't as bad as you think it is. Grocery prices are just a bit above the midwest, car prices are basic nationwide average. Also Cali has a cap on property taxes. Yes their income tax is high, but you get a return on it. Such as in Missouri we have high taxes but we still deal with shit schools, shit infrastructure, budget issues, etc

California does have some other good things such as better workers' rights and what not.

Anecdotally, it is true that a majority of Californians (regardless of income and race) are rude and have huge egos. They lack basic courtesy.

Californian traffic is not as awful as you would expect. Yes rush hour all the time, but since the residents there are so use to it, they know how to drive in it correctly.

I would wager that New York and Louisiana are far worse than Cali. Oh btw Florida is overrated. Kansas is near the bottom of the list as well.

Best states in my opinion that I've visited, are Oregon (excluding Portland area ofc), and Utah.
I lived in California for a few years. I'm actually going to visit it again in about 2 weeks.

I really don't like living in areas with high density, and imo being able to go to beautiful hiking spots (especially without much people) plays a huge role in how much I like to live somewhere, which is subjective of course. As most people know, California is not good for that, lmao. But even excluding that, it has lots of issues. And I don't know where exactly you lived in California, but the traffic was absolutely terrible and the drivers weren't technically bad, just very rude and cut you off whenever they can. I lived in southern California which is way worse than northern California in several ways iirc, so that might be why

As for Missouri, yes, the taxes are not very impressive but the house prices and general cost of living is very low. It might be rising by now, though. I wouldn't know since it has been a while since I've looked at anything related to Missouri

And as for your favorite states being Oregon and Utah, well that's interesting... because those are my two favorites as well. I too would exclude Portland since it feels like a dystopia down there, but I'm biased since I never liked living directly in cities. I don't have a comment on how Utah is with taxes but Oregon doesn't have sales tax and relatively good house prices (although not notably good either), so I'll take it

Anyway to wrap it up - both Oregon and Utah are absolutely gorgeous; they offer some of the most beautiful places in the entirety of North America but there aren't tourists or people everywhere either. Actually, most places are completely empty since there's usually a tourist spot nearby... always nice
For the past 10 years I would stay in California for 2-3 weeks for work. Always somewhere in South Cali. So I've been all over. LA, Burbank, Mission Viejo, Mission Hills, Santa Monica, Apple Valley, Laguna Beach, etc. I've never been to Northern Cali.

Cost of living isn't as low as expected in Missouri. Because so many people from higher cost states are moving here thus jacking up the prices. Similar to how Arizona and Idaho are skyrocketing in living costs due to wealthy ppl moving out of Cali into those states.

Regarding Oregon, anywhere from Medford up to Salem is beautiful. I would love to live somewhere along that corridor but not in Medford or Salem itself. A suburb in one of the smaller cities along the way. That way I'm still near city area but enjoy all the scenery.

Park City, Utah is like a dream. South Jordan and Stansbury as very nice as well. Unfortunately, downtown/central SLC is slowly turning into the next Portland.

Regarding taxes, I don't mind high taxes as long as I see a material return on it, and as long as everybody has to chip in. Which is why I prefer sales/transfer-type taxes over income taxes.
yeah, Salt Lake City is definitely falling apart. Good thing it's essentially a trap that keeps the rest of Utah safe. And yeah I figured Missouri is having rising costs, for some reason it's becoming a more popular state