Staying Safe Online
Staying Safe Online

I hear a lot of conversation of protecting your IP Address, staying safe on wifi, and friend BOT. I get questions such as "How can I protect myself while playing on Wiimmfi? or "I hear this friend BOT thing can get your MAC Address, can I stop that?"

Here are some of my recommendations...

Regarding IP Addresses:

Use a VPN. For dolphin it's easy, just get a VPN service and have it running.

For the Wii console, this is how you can setup a VPN:

Credits to Dorian & Luna~

What you need-

-Nintendo Wii
-Ethernet Cable
-Wii/Wii U LAN Adapter (3rd party brands tend to not work, get a Genuine Nintendo one)
-Windows 7+ computer

The LAN Adapter is attached to one of the USB ports of the Wii/Wii U, and the Ethernet cable is connected from the LAN Adapter to your computer.

How to-

-Download the VPN of your choice, Proton VPN is recommended as it works better for the Wii, and you can choose a specific IP to use every time.
-Connect to any country of your choice.
-Enter Internet Network Settings > Change Adapter Options
-Go into your Wi-Fi properties and enable, "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" on your VPN ethernet option.
-On your Wii run a wired test connection and it should work.

Notes-

-Every so often Windows decides to disable  "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection", just re-enable it and you'll be fine.
-Your internet for your Wii and PC will run slightly slower with the VPN enabled.

Regarding Wifi:

There is a packet of information that players share with each other in WWs/Rooms. It's called the User Record/Packet. There is some information in there that you should always spoof.

First is the Client ID. If you made a Mii on your Wii, somebody can get the MAC Address based on the Mii's Client ID. Not only can a person get this from the USER Record, they can get this from what is known as the SAKE protocol. A person can get this SAKE information from a network sniffing tool such as WireShark. Thus, it's crucial you spoof this.

Client ID Spoofer (set the code's value to C2428998) - http://mkwii.com/showthread.php?tid=840

Vega, what if I play on CTGP? I can't use that code!

You can change the Mii's Client ID permanently via a couple of methods. Whichever method you use, set the Client ID value to C2428998.

1. The first method is the MyAvatarEditor program. It's a windows abobe air type program. You can find it somewhere on google within minutes easily. If you get an installation error, you may need to change the computer's clock date to anything before Oct 31, 2017. You will need Adobe Air installed beforehand. Run the installer, afterwards a desktop shortcut will be created. The program itself is self-explanatory to use.

2. If you can't get the Avatar program to install/run. You can instead use a Hex Editor (I recommend HxD, google it). Use something such as Savegame Manager GX to extract the Mii to your SD/USB to go into your computer. The Client ID is at 0x1C (row 00000010, column 0C) of the Mii file. Before you re-inject your Modified Mii(s), remove any of their original copies that are present in the Mii channel.

Whichever method you do, set the Mii's Client ID value to C2428998.

--

Second is your Wii ID. Now we don't want this spoofed during server login, cause that can result in a Ban. I made a code that only spoofs the Wii ID for the USER Packet. Link to code - http://mkwii.com/showthread.php?tid=821

Set this to a random value that would still produce a value Wii ID number, just not yours.

FINAL NOTE:
The codes provided may be against the rules to use on Wiimmfi. No, they are not detectable.

Regarding Friend BOT:

The Client ID changes will protect you from the BOT getting your MAC Address.